Motorcycle Museums and Collections
Sturgis Motorcycle Museum & Hall of Fame
prior to opening Thursday, 9/11/2003.
Flag is at half staff for 9/11/2001.
Motorcyclists have few large museums or collections dedicated to motorcyles and motorcycling. Some are but segments of larger transportation museums. Others are individual collections co-located at motorcycle dealerships.
The Barber Vintage Sports Museum and the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame are exceptions. Here are a selection of museums and collections of note arranged in alphabetical order by state.
- Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum - Birmingham, Alabama
- " Five floors, 80,000 sq ft, almost 900 motorcycles, more than 140 manufacturers, the largest and most amazing collection in America! Dedicated to the preservation, interpretation, exhibition and history of motorcycles, vintage vehicles and motorsports."
- Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum - Solvang, California
- Virgil Elings displays his collection of 20 years from 1910 to present. Vintage racing motorcycles are favored.
- Hutchins Motor Sports Museum - Yucca Valley, California
- Harley-Davidson dealer with extensive collection, diner.
- Vintage Memories Inc. - Atlanta, Georgia
- No admission charge, but by appointment only. Groups welcomed.
- Panhead City - Rome, Georgia
- Independent custom builder and used Harley dealer with large collection of antique motorcycles and memorabilia.
- Kerstings Cycle Center Museum - North Judson, Indiana
- Dealer with comprehensive collection spanning many years and makes.
- National Motorcycle Museum - Anamosa, Iowa
- "An extensive collection of vintage motorcycles, thousands of photographs, posters, postcards and pieces of motorcycle memorabilia... "
- Bench Mark Works Museum - Sturgis, Mississippi
- Museum dedicated to BMW motorcycles. Motorcycle campground. They have a rally, too, the South Sturgis Rally in August.
- American Classic Motorcycle Co. - Asheboro, North Carolina
- "... one of the largest collections of privately-owned Harley-Davidsons in the country... displays vintage bikes, advertising and memorabilia. Unique to the Museum is a complete dealership, circa 1949."
- Wheels Through Time - Maggie Valley, North Carolina
- All-American Transportation Museum - "250 rare antique American Motorcycles and Automobiles. Equally as astounding is the memorabilia collection that unites the art of the motorcycle with the generation of Americans that enjoyed a lifestyle peculiar to the American Mainstream."
- The Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum - Pickerington, Ohio
- American Motorcyclist Association museum. Three exhibition halls rotate exhibits every two years to "tell the stories and history of motorcycling." Two hundred motorcyclists are honored in the Hall of Fame.
- Antique Motorcycle Museum - Port Orford, Oregon
- More than 30 motorcycles dating from 1896 displayed in two showrooms.
- Sturgis Motorcycle Museum - Sturgis, South Dakota
- "... to preserve the great history of motorcycling and to honor the men and women who have made a positive and significant impact on our sport and lifestyle... comprehensive and educational exhibits and showcasing rare and unusual motorcycles significant to our history and our sport."
- Lone Star Motorcycle Museum - Vanderpool, Texas
- From 1910 to modern. Ace Cafe is inside the museum. Might make a good lunch stop for a group ride in the famous Texas Hill Country.
- Benjy's Harley Davidson Dealership - Huntington, West Virginia
- Tucked into some great riding country is a quiet little Harley dealer with a surprisingly good collection attractively displayed. Worth stopping.
- Moto-Mini: Motorcycle Toys, Models, and Replicas Museum
- In addition to their online store, Moto-Mini has an extensive collection of motorcyle toys and models that are not for sale but are on display on their web site. Handy for research.
Special information for BMW F650GS and
Yamaha V-Max motorcycle enthusiasts.